Binaural Toolbox for Matlab
We have developed a MATLAB toolbox for calculating the binaural cross-correlogram of a sound. The toolbox incorporates functions for:
- signal generation (e.g., bandpass noise, pure tone, complex tone, Huggins pitch);
- plotting and playing of signals;
- calculation & post-processing of the correlogram;
- frequency or delay weightings;
- calculation of centroid or peak locations.
In addition we have developed a Windows 95/98 program for displaying correlograms, and have written a 77-page instruction manual and tutorial.
This picture shows an example screendump from the Windows program. It shows the binaural cross-correlogram of a 600-Hz Huggins-pitch stimulus:
We are making this software available in the hope that it may prove useful:
- Download the Matlab toolbox (Zip archive; 80 KB)
- Download the Windows 9x program (Exe file; 576 KB)
- Download the Tutorial (Pdf format; 1.8MB)
If you find the toolbox useful, we would appreciate it if you would please let us know.
Some other computational-modeling sites
- Malcolm Slaney's Auditory Toolbox (the gammatone-filtering functions in my toolbox are taken from this).
- Rich Stern's binaural-modeling pages.
- AIM ("Auditory Image Model"; Roy Patterson, John Holdsworth, Mike Allerhand, and Chris Giguere).
- DSAM ("Development system for auditory modeling", which combines AIM and LUTear; Lowel O'Mard and colleagues, Centre for the Neural Basis of Hearing, University of Essex).